Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Book #25: Mycroft Holmes


Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse

I love Sherlock Holmes. I love the original stories, the old movies, the new movies with Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, and the new BBC Benedict Cumberbatch series, so it's no surprise that a book about Sherlock Holmes's brother, Mycroft, intrigued me.

But what really interested me was that this book was written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Yep. That Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It turns out the guy is a man of diverse talents and interests, and has been a big Arthur Conan Doyle fan for years. 

Unfortunately, I think the only reason this book is gaining any traction is due to its authorship. 

It's not bad. It's just not great.

I appreciate the effort, but I found my mind wandering throughout the entire book -- the plot just wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. Everything came across to me as severely edited, probably due to the co-authorship, and at times it felt like there were actually two disjointed writing styles colliding and falling apart. 

I'll stick to the OG Holmes, thanks very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment